It’s very important to contact an attorney as soon as possible if you have been charged with a crime or are being investigated on suspicion of having committed a crime. You can face serious consequences and you need an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney to advise you at every stage of the investigation and prosecution.I am an experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in the Portland area. I have handled over 50 cases for client’s being charged with a variety of crimes. A good defense attorney will listen to your concerns, advise you of your rights, and clearly explain to you every step of the court process. I see every case as unique and examine the circumstances and facts of every client’s case that comes through my door to craft the best and most creative defense strategy for my clients. No Defense Lawyer can guarantee you a good result, but I work hard to try to achieve favorable outcomes for my clients, whether that is negotiating a beneficial plea deal with the state or taking your case to trial. I pride myself in looking at every case as a unique challenge and I tailor my defense strategy based on the particulars of your case and to each client’s specific life circumstances and goal. I purposefully take a lower case-load so that I can deliver personal attention to each of my clients. I return phone calls quickly and check my e-mail regularly. I deliver personal care and attention to every one of my clients.I have defended people who have been charged with the following crimes:
ORS 813.010 et al. – DUII (driving under the influence of intoxicants). DUII is one of the most common charges. Anyone from any walk of life can run afoul of the law when it comes to a DUII. You need an experienced traffic attorney who understands the laws around traffic stops, breathalyzer tests, sobriety tests, and other issues common to DUII cases. There are particularly important timelines for DUII cases including deadlines for requesting a hearing to contest a driver’s license suspensions to deadlines for entering into a diversion agreement that make it very important to contact an experienced DUII Lawyer as soon as possible if you have been cited for DUII.
ORS 811.182 – DWS (Driving While driving privileges are suspended or revoked). An experienced traffic lawyer can determine if the police potentially violated any of your Constitutional rights during a traffic, review your driving record, and determine possible legal defenses in a driving while suspended case.
ORS 811.140 – Reckless Driving
ORS 163.195 – Recklessly Endangering Another Person
ORS164.255 Criminal Trespass in the first degree
ORS 164.245 – Criminal Trespass in the second degree
ORS 164.955 – Theft in the first degree
ORS 164.045 – Theft in the second degree
ORS 164.043 – Theft in the third degree
ORS 164.365 – Criminal Mischief
ORS 166.025 – Disorderly Conduct
ORS 163.160 – Assault IV – I also handle cases involving allegations of domestic violence. If you are accused of assault or harassment and the victim is a member of your household then the State will likely charge the crime as a crime of domestic violence. The State often seeks more severe penalties for domestic violence cases and additional sentencing factors can be applied such as mandatory domestic violence prevention classes if you are convicted of a crime constituting domestic violence. You need a domestic violence defense attorney who is well-versed in the law and also has the sensitivity to handle these types of cases. An experienced domestic violence defense lawyer can deal with the additional complexities that arise when a person is charged with these types of crimes.
ORS 166.065 – Harassment
ORS 807.620 – Giving False Information to a Police Officer
ORS 162.247 – Interfering With a Police Officer
ORS 162.315 – Resisting Arrest
ORS 163.750 – Violation of a Stalking or Protective Order
ORS Contempt of Court
ORS Probation Violation
ORS 166.270 – Felon in Possession of a Restricted Weapon
ORS 475.752 – Possession of a Controlled Substance
ORS 166.416 – Giving False Information in the Purchase of a firearm
ORS 164.395 – Robbery
I spent a year working for the Clackamas Indigent Defense Corporation, the organization that handles indigent defense (public defense) cases in Clackamas County. I honed my skills during that year, appearing in court several times per week at pre-trial hearings, Motion hearings, Sentencings, please, and trials, both to a jury and to a judge. Now I provide criminal defense services for privately retained clients. I am a well-versed court lawyer.
As an experienced Defense Attorney I am committed to providing excellent legal representation to my clients. Below is a non-exhaustive list of the types of services that I provide for my clients:
- Order Discovery (police reports, State agency records, crime scene photos, interview transcripts, any other types of evidence used in the case against you).
- Review Discovery to assess the factual and legal strength of the prosecution’s case and to determine if there is any legal basis to file objections to police and/or state actions.
- Share Discovery with you. Listen to your side of the story. Advise you of your legal rights and the choices you have during all the phases of your case.
- Engage in Negotiations with the District Attorney’s Office regarding plea bargains and other pre-trial issues.
- Present facts about you including employment history and family history as mitigation during Pleas and Sentencings.
- Conduct Release Hearings if you are in custody pending trial.
- File pre-trial motions including motions to suppress and motions in limine. These motions can sometimes result in a case being dismissed and/or can improve you chances of getting a beneficial plea deal, and/or can improve your chances of success at trial by limiting or excluding certain information from being presented at trial.
- Hire investigators to build a body of evidence for your defense. The State has their evidence gatherers (police, forensic experts) so often we need to hire our own experts so that a competing narrative of events can be established. The best defense is a good offense.
- Advocate for your interests to the Court including requesting court permission to travel out of state and negotiating other pre-trial release conditions or post-trial probationary conditions.
- Defend you at Trial: Select a jury, deliver opening statements, question witnesses, present evidence, and deliver closing arguments. Many lawyers practice for years without doing a trial. I enjoy litigation and do not shy away from taking a case to trial if we decide together that it is in your best interest to do so. A knowledgeable trial lawyer can present the facts in the most persuasive light to a jury or judge.
Being charged with a crime is a stressful experience. Often my clients face jail time, fines, mandatory classes, community service, or other penalties that may greatly change the client’s style of living. I try to take that stress off of you your shoulders by explaining clearly to you the court process and working hard to advocate for your interests on your behalf.
You want a lawyer who can listen to your issues, answer your questions, and, most importantly, work hard to try to get you positive results. You want a lawyer that will be a zealous advocate, defending you in a proactive manner. I promise to be that lawyer and to defend you to the best of my abilities.